Skip to content ↓
St Gabriel’s

St Gabriel’s

Our History


  • 2026

    St Gabriel’s becomes a fully co-educational nursery, junior and senior school

  • 2024

    Year 9 and Year 12 co-educational entry points

  • 2022

    Start of the Senior School’s co-educational journey with boys welcomed in to Year 7

  • 2019

    90th Birthday and restoration of Oval Room and Library

  • 2018

    Garland Science Laboratories and Theatre refurbished

  • 2017

    Opening of Sandleford Farmhouse as the new Sixth Form Centre

  • 2014

    The Junior School became fully co-educational; The nursery opened its doors to children from the age of six months

  • 2012

    Dance Studio opened

  • 2011

    Opening of the North Block (MFL & Technology Rooms)

  • 2002

    Opening of the Sports Hall

  • 1989

    Dining Room and Technology building opened

  • 1984

    Science Block built

  • 1983

    The Junior School, Falkland St Gabriel's, previously sited at Wash Common moved to Sandleford Priory

  • 1974

    A Board of Governors became responsible for the school after the Sisters left

  • 1948

    The Community of the Companions of Jesus the Good Shepherd (CJGS), an order of Anglican nuns, bought Sandleford Priory and moved the school to its current site

  • c1946

    To accommodate growing numbers following the war the Junior School moved to Falkland Lodge, Wash Common, Newbury and was known as Falkland St Gabriel's

  • 1943

    St Gabriel's relocated to Ormonde House, Newbury in January 1943. A house on Donnington Square was also used to accommodate the growing school community

  • 1939

    The school (80 pupils and staff) evacuated to West Ogwell Manor in Devon

  • 1938

    From September to December the school evacuated to Wantage, utilising facilities at the former St Katharine's School site

  • 1929

    St Gabriel's was founded in Mill Hill, London

  • 18th Century

    Sandleford Priory acquired by the Montagu family.  Mrs Elizabeth Montagu, the founder of the Blue Stocking Society, employed James Wyatt, to make the 13th Century chapel into a dining room, which was then joined to the house by Wyatt's remarkable Oval Room.  The grounds were landscaped by Capability Brown

  • 12th Century

    Sandleford Priory founded for the Austin Canons by Count Geoffrey de Perche and his wife, Matilda, niece of King Richard I