0
Skip to content ↓
St Gabriel’s

St Gabriel’s

Handover from the Sisters 1973-74

The Sisters of the Community of the Companions of Jesus the Good Shepherd founded St Gabriel's at Mill Hill, London in 1929. After evacuation to West Ogwell, in Devon, during the war, St Gabriel's moved to Ormonde House in Newbury with the Junior School at Donnington Square. The Senior School moved to Sandleford Priory after Easter in 1948 and the Junior School moved to Falkand, Wash Common in 1949. In 1973 it was announced the sisters would withdraw from running the school. This gallery includes NWN coverage of this change in 1973-1974. 

  • Possible Closure annouced 8 Mar 73

    Possible Closure annouced 8 Mar 73.JPG
    590
    Possible Closure annouced 8 Mar 73
  • fundraising 20 june 74

    fundraising 20 june 74.jpg
    588
    fundraising 20 june 74
  • Campaign Mounts 15 Mar 73

    Campaign Mounts 15 Mar 73.jpg
    583
    Campaign Mounts 15 Mar 73
  • Fight to save school 25 Mar 73

    Fight to save school 25 Mar 73.jpg
    586
    Fight to save school 25 Mar 73
  • Brighter future 20 Sept 73

    Brighter future 20 Sept 73.jpg
    582
    Brighter future 20 Sept 73
  • Farewell to nuns 11 July 74

    Farewell to nuns 11 July 74.jpg
    585
    Farewell to nuns 11 July 74
  • Open Day June 7 73

    Open Day June 7 73.jpg
    596
    Open Day June 7 73
  • Farewell 11 July 74

    Farewell 11 July 74.jpg
    584
    Farewell 11 July 74
  • List of nuns in photo July 74

    List of nuns in photo July 74.jpg
    589
    List of nuns in photo July 74