Students in Year 12 who participate in the Young Enterprise Company Programme find out what it’s really like to set up and run a business. Girls make all the decisions about their company, from raising the initial share capital through to designing and selling their product and ultimately winding up the company and paying taxes. All this takes place with the support of a Link Teacher and a volunteer Business Adviser who will bring a wealth of business knowledge to the team.
Students can also choose to set up their business as a social enterprise, which focuses on addressing a social need rather than maximising profit.
Each team of 10-25 girls will:
- raise real finance by selling shares
- open and use their own company bank account
- carry out market research
- work together to create their business plan
- develop their own product or service
- market and promote their product or service
- trade with the public face-to-face or electronically
- manage the company finances
- take part in local Young Enterprise trade fairs
- compete with other schools and colleges in the Company of the Year competition
We have an excellent record of success, regularly winning awards at regional finals. Our 2016 team 'Roasted' developed and marketed a ground coffee range, whilst our 2017 team created and designed a children's book, Peekabee, which introduced French through an imaginative story.