Drama scholarships at St Gabriel’s are awarded to foster and enhance the strong tradition of drama within the whole school. Drama scholars are expected to contribute in as many aspects of the school’s drama and performance activities as the Head of Drama can reasonably require. There are numerous opportunities to perform in front of an audience in a professional theatre, including the annual Shakespeare Schools Festival and the biennial Senior School production.
Drama scholarships are honorary and may be awarded to outstanding candidates. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of audition.
Requirements for Entry
Candidates should have a good level of knowledge and understanding of drama, as a whole, as well as:
- Drama experience in a group outside of school
- A written report on their suitability for scholarship from their drama teacher
- Enjoyment, enthusiasm and appreciation for drama is paramount and should be demonstrated in a personal statement detailing their suitability for the role.
Candidates attend an audition, which will include:
- The performance of a prepared monologue, maximum 2 minutes in length
- Participation in a short class in which the candidates will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their technical ability and creative skills
- A short interview conducted by the panel
Drama scholars are supported by highly qualified and experienced drama practitioners who will provide guidance, advice and support, enabling them to achieve their true potential.