Dance scholarships at St Gabriel’s are awarded to foster and enhance the strong tradition of dance within the whole school. Dance scholars are expected to contribute in as many aspects of the school’s dance and performance activities as the Head of Dance can reasonably require.
There are numerous opportunities for dance scholars to perform in front of an audience at a professional venue, including the Quantum Leap Dance Festival and the biennial dance show. In addition, from Year 9, dance scholars are invited to join Angelis, the St Gabriel’s elite dance company.
Dance scholarships are honorary and may be awarded to outstanding candidates. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of audition.
Requirements for Entry
Candidates should have a good level of knowledge and understanding of dance as a whole as well as:
- A minimum of two years dance experience in a group outside of school
- Experience in ballet, tap, modern or contemporary dance preferred, but not essential
- Syllabus or grade examinations not essential
- A written report on the candidate’s suitability for scholarship from their dance teacher
- Enjoyment, enthusiasm and appreciation for dance is paramount and should be demonstrated in a personal statement detailing their suitability for the role
Candidates attend an audition, which will include:
- The performance of a prepared one minute solo, choreographed by the candidate in their own chosen style
- The participation in a short class in which the candidate will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their technical ability and creative skills
- A short interview conducted by the panel
Dance scholars are supported by highly qualified and experienced dance practitioners who will provide guidance, advice and support, enabling them to achieve their true potential.