Music scholarships at St Gabriel’s are awarded to foster and enhance the strong tradition of music within the whole school.
The Director of Music will work closely with music scholars to provide a range of opportunities to develop their individual talents. Music scholars are expected to contribute in as many aspects of the school’s musical activities as the Director of Music can reasonably require.
Music scholarships are honorary and may be awarded to outstanding candidates. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of audition.
Requirements for Entry
- Candidates are required to have reached a minimum standard of Associated Board (or equivalent) grading as follows:
- First instrument: 11+ Grade IV
- Second instrument: 11+ no minimum requirement but demonstrate strong potential
- Enjoyment and enthusiasm for making-music and potential for progress are strong considerations of the panel, as is commitment to music-making activities in school
- A written report from the candidate’s music teacher for their principal instrument
- A reference from the candidate’s current Head of Music
- Enjoyment, enthusiasm and appreciation for music is paramount and should be demonstrated in a personal statement detailing their suitablity for the role.
Candidates attend a 30 minute audition, which will include:
- The performance of two pieces on the candidate’s first instrument (or voice)
- The performance of one piece on the candidate’s second choice instrument (or voice). If a candidate plays more than two instruments she may perform a further piece on another instrument if she wishes
- Aural tests appropriate to the candidate’s standard
- A short interview conducted by the panel